Adventurous Co is a storytelling platform that takes families on mixed reality adventures through their local neighborhoods. It was created with the vision of bringing the magic of theme parks to everyday settings. The experiences combine the magic of storytelling with the often overlooked charm of the real world, inspiring families to go on quests, solve mysteries, and save the day, together as a family. Families can discover their local area while learning about it through quests, games, and interactive characters.
Adventurous was inspired by my big family, where play and pretend was a common language despite age and generational differences. It also draws inspiration from video games, escape rooms, and immersive experiences to balance out-of-this-world storytelling with real-world places.
Adventurous was part of YCombinators Winter 2019 cohort.
The Adventurous experience took many forms to find a product that resonated with families. It started as an augmented reality app that guided families on mixed reality experiences with live actors. It then became self-guided text messages paired with carefully crafted physical puzzles. Both of these experiences transported families on fantastic Adventures through historical locations and local neighborhoods. In response to the pandemic, we adapted the neighborhood Adventures into at-home experiences.
Roles and responsibilities as the founder of Adventurous:
Business Operations and Partnerships:
- Pitched Kairos for fundraising, participating in Y Combinator's Winter 2019 cohort
- Initiated and pitched concepts or potential partnerships with companies and IP owners like Disney, Lego, Meowwolf, Andrews McMeel, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, and Sesame Street
- Established partnerships with local businesses, libraries, and schools to enhance Adventurers' experiences with real-world interactions and rewards
- Recruited and coordinating live actors to add a tangible layer to the Adventures and enhance the sense of immersion
- Managed a team of artists and writers to craft the Adventure’s narrative, games, and visuals
- Customized experiences for school field trips and company offsites
- Provided customer support by responding to inquiries and resolving issues
Product and Experience Development
- Iterated and pivoted on product to define a product that resonated with families
- Designed immersive gameplay to integrate narratives, mechanics, user interactions, and the seamless transition between virtual and real-world moments
- Mapped real-world locations for the location-based Adventures
- Created captivating Adventures and interactive gameplay that stimulated curiosity, encouraged exploration, and merged digital stories with real-world interactions
- Created mixed reality experiences, incorporating live actors to elevate immersion and engagement
- Designed user friendly augmented reality app to guide families on real-world adventures
- Adapted Adventures to be guided by text messages
- Crafted puzzles that balanced imagination and engagement while maintaining an appropriate level of challenge for kids
- Meticulously produced, hand-cut, and assembled puzzles
- Conducted game testing of narratives and puzzles
- Oversaw shipping and delivering Adventure kits to participating families
- Adapted to COVID-19 by converting the Adventures to at-home experiences
Marketing and Community Engagement:
- Led in-person product promotions and event demos
- Established meaningful partnerships with local businesses and community
- Crafted and managed targeted ads and online partnerships
- Built influencer relationships for impactful promotions and partnerships
- Nurtured connections with parents and the broader community to build a dynamic and engaged customer base
- Fueled exploration, family bonding, and fun within the community